Cracked Golden Eggs With Heirloom Tomato Salad
"Cracked" Eggs, Heirloom Tomatoes, Chiles and Herbs
Prep time 12-48 hours
Turmeric Vinegar Brine
2 cups vegetable stock
1 sprig thyme
1 tbsp turmeric
1 bay leaf
zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp salt
- Bring the vegetable stock, turmeric, and salt to a simmer.
- Turn off the heat and allow to come down in temperature until steam is barely visible.
- Add the thyme, bay leafs, and lemon zest, and allow to cool entirely before adding the vinegars. Reserve in refrigerator.
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
3 cups water
1 tbsp salt
prepared ice bath
- Take six eggs (you’ll want extra) and place them in a pot of boiling water with vinegar and salt for 7 minutes.
- Remove and place into the ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Once chilled, remove eggs from ice bath.
- For eggs with a “cracked” appearance: crack the shell in large indentations, causing small gaps to form in the shell. While marinating, the brine will color along the exposed whites in between the cracks in the shell. This process takes a minimum of 24-48 hours
- Alternatively, for a “golden” egg: remove the shell entirely and place in the brine directly. Allow to marinate for 12 hours+, or until the eggs are the desired shade of yellow.
Heirloom Tomato Salad (per serving)
5 clementine tomatoes
5 yellow grape tomatoes
5 sun gold tomatoes
5 super sweet 100 tomatoes
2 baby green tomatoes
(or an assortment of cherry tomatoes found at your local farmers market)
juice of one lemon
1g minced garlic
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
- Mix the lemon juice, vinegars, garlic, and salt, and allow to marinate for an hour.
- Strain, then mix with the extra virgin olive oil.
green chilis (medium heat, like a jalapeño), sliced thin
baby onion or shallot, sliced thin
- In a bowl, toss the tomatoes with the vinaigrette, and assemble in a ring mold on parchment paper.
- Cut in half with a sharp knife while remaining on the parchment.
- Place a plate over the top to flip the 1/2 tomato salad onto (or save yourself the hassle and just place all tomatoes in a ring mold and call it a day.)
- Garnish with 3-5 slices of pepper and 2-3 slices of young onion or shallot, the herbs, and for bonus points our Fermented Ramp Salt.
- Serve with the cracked and/or marinated egg.
Show us what you made on Instagram @LinderaFarms with the tag #LinderaMade